CAKE CAKE CAKE CAKE… Cake that’s so good and so well-balanced, full of protein and not too sweet, it’s ANYTIME CAKE. Breakfast cake! Lunch cake! Teatime cake! Post-workout cake! Dinner or dessert cake! And personally, I like mine with a tall glass of unsweetened @califiafarms Almond milk, just sayin’.
I created this keto chocolate & hazelnut torta (Italian for cake) to bring to a dinner party hosted by my favorite Italiana last night. I’ve said it before, but when an Italian invites you to a party, ALWAYS SAY YES. I can pretty much assure you that the food, wine, and company will ALWAYS be amazing!
Anyhow, it came out fluffy, moist, and only lightly sweet. Perfect for a very simple dessert, but could also be stacked into one frickin’ awesome layer cake! This version is made with butter, and I will be testing out some other alternatives to create a dairy free option, too.
KETO CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT TORTA
Author: Nicole Poirier
Recipe type: dessert
Serves: 16 regular or 8 large slices
- 1/4 c almond flour
- 1/4 c hazelnut flour
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 1/8 c coconut flour
- 1/2 c granulated Swerve/erythritol
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 eggs
- 1 c butter, melted (I used salted – you could use unsalted with a pinch of salt)
- 1 Tablespoon hazelnut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For garnish:
- Confectioners/powdered Swerve/erythritol
- Chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Set your oven to 350ºF and line the bottom of a 9 – 10” cake pan with parchment paper.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and whisk to combine thoroughly.
- In another bowl, crack and beat the eggs and then whisk in the slightly cooled melted butter, vanilla extract, and hazelnut oil.
- Add the wet to the dry and blend well with a whisk so that no dry pockets remain. The batter will start to thicken up almost immediately.
- Transfer to the prepared cake pan and bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely, transfer to a serving plate, and garnish with powdered Swerve shaken through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Top with chopped hazelnuts, and serve!