This is KETO KOREAN RIDICULICIOUSNESS!
Currently, I’m in Rhode Island and staying with my cousin and her Korean husband, whose family was really the first to introduce me to legit Korean food. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the blend of sweet and spicy, the freshness, the soul-warming awesomeness – PROBLEM IS, it’s not super keto or gluten free in its original form.
BUT I NEED IT IN MY LIFE!! So, of course I’m taking the opportunity to test out the recipes I’ve been working on with family who can let me know if it tastes authentic. And GUESS WHAT, HONEYBUNS!?!? THEY’RE PASSING WITH DELICIOUS FLYING COLORS!
KETO DAK BULGOGI – SPICY KOREAN CHICKEN
15 min prep – 25 min cook
- 1 lb chicken breast
- ½ cup minced onion
- 2 chopped green onions, white parts and green parts separated
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp minced ginger
- ¼ c gluten-free gochujang, sugar-free ketchup, or a blend of the two (love @sintogourmet !)
- 1 Tbsp granulated monk fruit, erythritol, or xylitol
- 2 Tbsp tamari/soy aminos/coconut aminos
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp gochugaru (Korean chilli flakes) – you can use crushed red pepper
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- Optional: ½ tsp hondashi
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Avocado or another vegetable oil for cooking
- Slice chicken as thinly as you possibly can. PRO-TIP: it’s easier to do this if the chicken is semi-frozen. Place it in a non-reactive bowl and set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine the minced onion, white parts of green onions, garlic, ginger, gochujang/ketchup, sweetener, tamari, rice vinegar, gochugaru, sesame oil, and optional hondashi to make marinade. Whisk well and pour over the sliced chicken. Mix well and allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes and up to 48 hours.
- When you are ready to cook, heat a tablespoon at a time of vegetable oil with high smoke point in a large frying pan or wok. Working in small-ish batches (do not crowd the pan with too much chicken or it will be steamed as opposed to fried), stir fry until it is cooked through and has slight grill/cooking marks. Transfer to a plate or serving dish and repeat the process until all of the chicken is cooked.
- Garnish with the green part of the green onions and some sesame seeds and BOOM! Deliciousness!