ONE-SKILLET WONDERFUL. I love Mondays, love the bones-deep feeling of something NEW starting every seven days. I set new goals, take on new tasks, and after a good night’s sleep on Sunday night, have all the energy to do a zillion things in one day! For all of these reasons, they DO tend to be my busiest day in the week and if I went to a housewarming party instead of keto meal prepped on Sunday (like I totes did yesterday), I don’t want to have to think too hard about dinner!
Enter this super summery One Skillet Sausage, Broccoli & Zoodle number, and your Monday night will be a snap! Finished off with freshly grated Romano cheese (you could use Parmesan or Asiago if you felt like it, or skip the cheese altogether if you’re staying dairy-free).
ONE-SKILLET ITALIAN SAUSAGE, BROCCOLI AND SUMMER SQUASH ZOODLE DELIGHT
- 2 links Italian sausage, casings removed (I used one hot, one mild)
- 2 Tbsp chopped onion
- 8 oz frozen broccoli florets
- 2 – 3 cups yellow/summer/crookneck squash zoodles (I made mine from 2 round yellow summer squashed, one large oblong one would also work)
- Saute one link of hot Italian pork sausage and one link of mild Italian pork sausage (casings removed and meat crumbled) over medium-high heat with 2 Tbsp chopped onion. Once things were about 75% cooked – mostly golden with flashes of pink here and there – stir in the 8 oz of frozen broccoli florets, straight from the freezer, and 2 Tbsp olive oil.
- Reduce heat to medium and cover for 5 minutes. At this point, the broccoli should be getting fork tender. Remove the lid and allow to cook until the Maillard browning/caramelizing action starts to occur after all of the released liquid evaporates, about another 5 minutes. Add in the zoodles and a pinch of salt and saute for 2 more minutes, just until the zoodles soften.
- Remove entire pan from heat, garnish with freshly grated cheese, serve, and enjoy! It’s really THAT simple – and BTW, this would also make an amazing breakfast hash. Just sayin’
What is your favorite single-skillet combo?